From last-minute scrambling to months-long unpacking, moving can be stressful enough without the added apprehension due to the coronavirus. But when it comes to large, life-changing events like moving, the option to postpone may not always be available.
Not to worry – with the right preparation, you can still make the switch to your new space.
A well-executed move always benefits from a well-laid plan. Taking the proper precautions creates a safer environment for both you and your family, as well as the movers.
At present, it is best to begin with the guidelines set by the Center for Disease Control to prevent spread. This includes practicing safe social distancing, wearing personal protective equipment such as gloves and masks, and regularly washing your hands with soap.
In addition to these general sanitation conventions, a careful move in the current climate calls for extra considerations. The following approaches minimize risk:
- Thoroughly clean your home prior to loading and unloading.
- Use cleaning supplies to sanitize anything likely to come into frequent contact with multiple people, including moving materials such as packing tape, boxes, bubble wrap, dollies, or truck handles.
- Pack with new cardboard boxes.
- Deeply clean your new home before movers deliver your belongings, and clean again as you unpack.
- Find movers comfortable adhering to CDC practices, including wearing masks and gloves and using hand-sanitizers.
Is postponing your move to Oklahoma City possible?
Ultimately, in situations where your move can be delayed, you may find it most comforting to reassess your options. If you or someone in your home is part of a high-risk group, waiting or distancing from the moving process can limit the risk of exposure. Furthermore, if air travel is part of your moving plan, it may be best to create a reliable backup plan in the event your flight is canceled.
An essential service
Relocating for work, the expiration of a lease, accommodating a growing family – in many cases, delaying a move is wholly undesirable. Fortunately, moving companies in OKC are considered an essential service. Even so, in this rapidly-changing environment, it is always best to stay up-to-date with local state guidelines.
In an effort to hire the right movers or select the best rental truck company, don’t be afraid to ask these businesses what precautions they are taking to protect themselves and their customers from the coronavirus. Consider some of the following:
- Do they have social distancing measures in place?
- Are they taking steps to ensure that employees are healthy? Do they provide employees with personal protective equipment?
- What is their routine for disinfecting offices, supplies, and vehicles?
- How much notice will they give if illness-induced cancellations are required?
- Are they able to accommodate cancellation or rescheduling should you or anyone in your household become sick?
Taking the time to ask these questions upfront can put your mind at ease and help you make the right hire. And in an environment filled with anxiety, the right hire, coupled with the right safety practices, will lend an upcoming move as much as peace as possible for you and your loved ones.